Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Mr. Cartoon lives

I was flipping channels yesterday and caught the end of a commercial for a local ISP. The tagline was "And tell them Jule Huffman sent you" or something like that. I was astounded be cause I thouht Jules had passed on the great weather channel in the sky. So who in the world is Jule Huffman, you ask? He used to be the weatherman at WSAZ TV in Charleston WV, but that's not why he's important.

When I was a young lad, after school I would head home to watch Mr Cartoon and Beeper. Mr. Cartoon, as you've probably figured out, was portrayed by Jules Huffman. Beeper was...I'm not sure what Beeper was. He's standing behind Mr. Cartoon (scroll down a bit) here


Mr Cartoon played your standard Looney Toon cartoons and had a studio audience of little kids. I lived to far away to ever do the live Mr. Cartoon experience, unfortunately. Kids would send in jokes and riddles, and they had games and what not. He'd ask kids a riddle and if they didn't know the answer, they'd get the dreaded "Yuckit Bucket". Ooh!

Then Jules retired. The afternoon show was replaced by some Oprah woman. Mr. Cartoon lived on early saturday mornings, but it just wasn't the same. It eventually faded away.

Ahh, enough rememberances of my younger days. I'll finish up my blog posting the same way Mr. Cartoon ended his show.

Take a deep breath.
Take another deep breath.
Take ANOTHER deep breath.
Hold it.
Hold it.
HOLD it.
Now wave like mad and say bye Cartooners!

2 comments:

Black Razor said...

Wow, I remember Mr. Cartoon. Though I now live in Chicago, home of that damn Oprah woman, I vividly remember being one of the last audiences Jules entertained. I was born in 1981, and I couldnt have been older than 5 maybe 6 years old. I remember Beeper made me scared and I ran away crying to my Mom who was just outside the set. Thank you for allowing me to remember such a wonderful piece of my chilhood.

Bye-Bye Cartooners...

J. Stackhouse

Anonymous said...

Remember it well my friend!
Those were the days. Iron Man, Thor, Captian America, and the Hulk.
How about the Banana Bunch and their Banana Mobiles. I can remember when my father came home one day saying they were going to be at Marbon Plastics. He worked there for 30 yrs and took me that weekend to see them. Awesome Day for a little kid of 6! I later found out that the Banana Mobiles were made of the plastic produced at Marbon. SMASH