Thursday, March 16, 2006

It used to be good but now it sucks!

You ever notice how people say this about things? Take Saturday Night Live. IU2BGBNIS! Nope, sorry. SNL has always been about 2 good skits (usually the fake commercials), the Weekend Update, the singer, and a bunch of crap to fill out the time. Maybe a solid host occasionally, and wall to wall crap once in a while, but ont he average, a little bit of good and a lot of crap. But to hear people tell it, this season's actors are nothing like (pick a previous season). No, they were hit and miss also.

Same thing with Country and Western music. IU2BGBNIS! Nope, wrong again. The most common complaint is either "It's too rock" or "it's too pop" I was watching one of the awards shows (Country music has like 40 a year, but that's another story) and Big $ Rich were playing. I like B$R, but that's not country. Then I got to thinking, 10 years ago, Garth was too rock and Shania was too pop. Ten years before that... uh, Alabama was too rock and Kenny Rogers was too pop. 10 years before that... I was 2 years old and I don't know, but around that time (Maybe a few years later) Waylon was rock and... maybe Anne Murray? was too pop.
You could go back to any point in musical history, and find acts that were too pop and too rock in Country music. Modern Country is in fine shape. Josh Turner, Brad Paisley, Dierks Bentley, and Joe Nichols are all right in my opinion. "Heart as Empty as a Monday Morning Church" by Alan Jackson is pure sad, heart-broke country. If I'm driving around and it comes on the radio, I have to turn it, because I'll be in the ditch with tears in my eyes.

Then we get to my favorite topic, NASCAR. IU2BGBNIS! Come on! When was the last time someone won by more than a lap? In the old days, a lot. You had oh 6-7 guys capable of winning. Nowadays, 10 guys have a good chance, and another 10 have a decent chance, then a third 10 have an outside chance. And TV coverage? Flag to flag races, qualifying, practice, a driver goes to the can on Tuesday morning and someone has tape of it!

Nope, IU2BGBNIS! is wrong, Either it was good and it's still good, or it always sucked.

2 comments:

Ethel said...

Preachin' to the choir, Nuggie. ;)

Staci said...

Amen, Nuggie. I don't get all the people who want the old NASCAR. Granted, my dad is one of them. But you make very good points!

IU2BGBNIS is cool! I'm totally using it.