Monday, March 20, 2006

Not like Colonel Sanders at all

If you're like me, you enjoy the offerings of a Chinese Buffet occasionally. You see, I can pay 7 bucks for a Cobb Salad at Bob Evans, or some dinner at the other chains around here, or I can go to the China Buffet (pronounced Buffet, like Warren or Jimmy, not Boof-fay, like Phoebe) and get all I want for the same price or less. Go on and eat good in your neighborhood Applebee's, I'll be at the buffet. Actually, in my evert to get at least close to healthy, I do eat all I want, though I do eat plenty. I also understand that American Chinese food has little, if anything, to do with the country of China.

Nevertheless, one of the popular "Chinese" dishes and the buffets I visit (oh yes, I visit more than one) is "General Tso's Chicken" This always leads me to the question "Who was General Tso, and why is this his chicken?" So today, I finally remembered look it up. I always imagined that he was the Chinese equivalent of Colonel Sanders. Unfortunately, it looks like they just named the chicken after him. So I guess that would make him more like the General Lee (01) then.

For further reading:
The wikipedia article on General Tso
The wikipedia article on the General Tso's Chicken

2 comments:

Ethel said...

That's kind of a let down. Next, you're gonna tell me there was no Betty Crocker. Or Charlie the Tuna.

Staci said...

Nuggie, I 'live' for American Chinese food. I eat it at least once a week! I wouldn't know real Chinese food if it smacked me in the face. I don't know how to pronounce General Tso's so when I order it, I always just say, "Give me the General's chicken." I'm very sly that way.

:-) I'll try and stop by more often!