Wednesday, July 11, 2007

100 songs 1-10

As promised, here is some of my reasoning on my 100 songs list.

1. I Started Loving You Again -- Merle Haggard
Yes that's the actual title, although sometimes it's listed as Today, I Started Loving You Again. First, Merle Haggard is probably my favorite singer ever. This is my favorite song. It's simple, to the point and full of emotion. Sometimes picking the song once you've picked an artist is an ordeal. This is the case with Haggard, as I love a lot of his songs. Always Wanting You (written about Dolly Parton) would have probably been second on my list. But, there's a lot of winners in his catalog
Go here, get this

2. Easy Lovin' -- Freddy Hart
Great old classic country song. CMA song of the year in 1971 and 1972. For Freddy Hart, I also have to mention My Hangup is You. I love it maybe even more than Easy Lovin'.

3. Drinkin' Thing -- Gary Stewart
I really like Gary Stewart, but it comes down to 2 similar songs, Drinkin' Thing and She's Actin' Single, I'm Drinkin' Doubles. I went with Drinkin' Thing, though.

4. Someday My Day Will Come -- George Jones
What can be said about George Jones? He's a legend for a reason. Much like Haggard, there were a lot of songs I could have listed. This one is a sad yet hopeful kind of song that I really like.

5. Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon Wine -- Tom T. Hall
Love Tom T. Hall. Story goes that he wrote this after appearing at the Republican National Convention (maybe it was the Democrats... doesn't really matter). Again, could have went with several choices, but this is a darn fine song.

6. Almost Persuaded -- David Houston
I just love this almost cheatin' song. The chorus builds up, and it would be easy to take it over the top, but Houston doesn't. I also have to note the wonderful piano lick that helps to make the song.

7. Big in Vegas -- Buck Owens
It's kinda sad that most people remember Owens for Hee Haw, but not his music career. Yet again, lots of great songs. Honorable mention to Tall Dark Stranger. The other must have recommendation for today

8. Ring Of Fire -- Johnny Cash
Johnny Cash. What else needs to be said? I also really love One Piece at a Time. In anyone else's hands, it would have been just a joke, but in Johnny's, it comes out great. I can close my eyes and see Johnny, Merle, Willie and Waylon in a garage working on the thing, while June brings a out plate of bologna sandwichs and a pitcher of lemonade. Ring of Fire got the nod the day I made the list, though. Love the horns.

9. Lovesick Blues -- Hank Williams
Without Hank, there'd be no country music. Lovesick Blues is probably my favorite, although it's one of the few Williams did not write.

10. Eleven Roses -- Hank Williams, Jr.
Bocephus is more famous for his up-tempo southern rock flavored rowdy songs, but this beautiful slow apology is my favorite.

No comments: