Tuesday, July 10, 2007

100 songs

About a year or so ago, my friend (using that word loosely) Functionally ReTodded asked for input on a list of 100 great songs. I had fully intended to expound on my list here, but never got around to it. His list is here. Mine is below. Over the next few posts here at Nuggie Land, I'll explore each song on the list and try to explain why I chose it for my list. The original list was started in October 2006, so I'll see what still rates and what doesn't. After I go through the list, I'll add a few more that should have made the list.

Here's my original reply
Well, I was afraid of loading my list down with a bunch of Merle Haggard and Buck Owens Songs. I limited my self to 1 song per artist. These are probably my favorite songs by each of these artists. I did it in a stream of consciousness
, so there’s no order. It’s by no means complete or even “right,” just 100 good songs by 100 good artists. I looked it over, but I make no promise that I didn’t repeat. It’s mostly country, of the classic variety, but there's a bit or rock and motown in there too. Here you go:

1. I Started Loving You Again–Merle Haggard
2. Easy Lovin’–Freddy Hart
3. Drinkin’ Thing–Gary Stewart
4. Someday My Day Will Come–George Jones
5. Old Dogs Children and Watermelon Wine–Tom T. Hall
6. Almost Persuaded–David Houston
7. Big In Vegas–Buck Owens
8. Ring of Fire–Johnny Cash
9. Lovesick Blues–Hank Williams
10. Eleven Roses–Hank Williams, Jr.
11. Old Violin–Johnny Paycheck
12. Never could Toe the Mark–Waylon Jennings
13. Crazy Arms–Ray Price
14. She Got You–Patsy Cline
15. Cherokee Fiddle–Johnny Lee
16. This One’s Gonna Hurt You–Travis Tritt and Marty Stuart
17. It was Almost like a Song–Ronnie Milsap
18. Lovin’ On Backstreets–Mel Street
19. Amarillo by Morning–George Strait
20. Devil Woman–Marty Robbins
21. Trying to Love Two Women–Oak Ridge Boys
22. Boney Fingers–Hoyt Axton
23. She Can Put Her Shoes Under My Bed Anytime–Johnny Duncan
24. The Weekend-Steve Wariner
25. When I Call Your Name–Vince Gill
26. Heard it in Love Song–Marshall Tucker Band
27. When You’re Hot, You’re Hot–Jerry Reed
28. I Never Picked Cotton–Roy Clark
29. In America–Charlie Daniels
30. Texas, 1880–Foster and Lloyd
31. Holding Her and Loving You–Earl Thomas Conley
32. Memphis in the Meantime–John Hiatt
33. Wicked Game–Chris Isaak
34. Velvet Chains–Gary Morris
35. Reggae Cowboy–Bellamy Brothers
36. 1982–Randy Travis
37. That’s What you do when You’re in Love–Forrester Sisters
38. You’re Gonna Ruin My Bad Reputation–Ronny McDowell
39. It’s a Cheatin’ Situation–Moe Bandy
40. Roll On Big Mama–Joe Stampley
41. Midnight Hauler–Razzy Bailey
42. Long Black Train–Josh Turner
43. SqueezeBox–The Who
44. Backside of Thirty–John Conlee
45. Baby’s Got her Blue Jeans On-Mel McDaniel
46. Some Broken Hearts Never Mend-Don Williams
47. Saginaw, Michgan–Lefty Frizzell
48. We Tell Ourselves–Clint Black
49. Much Too Young to Feel This Damn Old–Garth Brooks
50. John Deere Green–Joe Diffie
51. Old Country–Mark Chesnutt
52. Louisana Man–Doug Kershaw
53. Third Rate Romance-The Amazing Rhythm Aces
54. She Don’t Know She’s Beautiful–Sammy Kershaw
55. Divers Do It Deeper–David Allan Coe
56. Promises-Eric Clapton
57. Walkin to Jerusalem–Tracy Byrd
58. Wasted Days and Wasted Nights–Freddy Fender
59. Georgia on My Mind–Ray Charles
60. Keep Your Hands to Yourself–Georgia Satellites
61. It’s a Long Way to the Top if You wanna Rock and Roll–AC/DC
62. Do You Know You Are My Sunshine–Statler Brothers
63. Me and You and A Dog Named Boo–Lobo
64. Live Forever–Shaver
65. Everywhere–Tim McGraw
66. 1959–John Anderson
67. It’s All In Your Head–Diamond Rio
68. Can’t Keep a Good Man Down–Alabama
69. Ramblin Man–Allman Brothers
70. Black Water–Doobie Brothers
71. That Smell–Lynyrd Skynyrd
72. Pleasant Valley Sunday–The Monkees
73. Midnight Train to Georgia–Gladys Night and The Pips
74. Devil in Blue Dress–Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels
75. Still The Same–Bob Segar
76. Lodi–Creedence Clearwater Revival
75. You Can’t Always Get What You Want–The Rolling Stones
76. A Lesson in Leavin’–Dottie West
77. Movin’ On–Hank Snow
76. Big Old Jet Airliner–Steve Miller
77. Runnin’ Down a Dream–Tom Petty
78. A Tender Lie–Restless Heart
79. Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow–The Shirelles
80. Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)–The Four Tops
81. The Tracks Of My Tears–Smokey Robinson
82. Soul Man–Sam and Dave
83. Chain Gang–Sam Cooke
84. You Don’t Mess Around With Jim–Jim Croce
85. Burnin’ Love–Elvis Presley
86. My Baby Don’t Dance to Nothing But Ernest Tubb–Junior Brown
87. Papa Was a Rolling Stone–The Temptations
88. Crackers–Barbara Mandrell
89. Waltz Across Texas–Ernest Tubb
90. Gentle On My Mind–Glen Campbell
91. Light My Fire–The Doors
92. Can I See You Tonight?–Tanya Tucker
93. She Ain’t Pretty, She Just Looks That Way–The Northern Pikes
94. The Streak–Ray Stevens
95. Is Anybody Goin’ To San Antone?–Charlie Pride
96. May the Bird Of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose–Little Jimmy Dickens
97. Superman Song–Crash Test Dummies
98. Me Neither–Brad Paisley
99. Still-Bill Anderson
100. Key Largo–Bertie Higgins

No comments: