Monday, July 23, 2007

100 songs 41-50

41. Midnight Hauler -- Razzy Bailey
Another trucking song. I really like this song on it's own merits, but I really enjoyed Bailey when I was a kid, too.

42. Long Black Train -- Josh Turner
When people say that today's country is too pop, I like to point out this young man. He's very traditional and just a good country singer. This gospel tinged song is a good example. It's odd because the song never made the top 10, but it charted for a long stretch, making it still a big hit.

43. SqueezeBox -- The Who
Here is my first non-country, nowhere near country artist on my list. However, the song has a country flavor to it, what with the banjo sound, and the accordion subject matter, if you want to believe that's what they are singing about.

44. Backside of Thirty -- John Conlee
Another of the Late 70's/mid 80's country pop artists that I like so well. This sad tale of love lost just beats out Rose Colored Glasses as my favorite. Before parlaying his DJ career into a singing career, Conlee was a mortician.

45. Baby’s Got her Blue Jeans On - Mel McDaniel
Again, long list of hits for McDaniel. I think this is probably his most recognized, and it's a fun song.

46. Some Broken Hearts Never Mend -- Don Williams
Interesting that I picked this one over Tulsa Time or I Believe in Love. All 3 are great, as are most of Williams' catalog.

47. Saginaw, Michigan –- Lefty Frizzell
Here's a classic song. This one is about a young man who couldn't gain his lady's father acceptance, but wins her in the end. Frizell had a lot of influence on later artists like Merle Haggard and George Jones, so he is a very important figure in the history of country music.

48. We Tell Ourselves –- Clint Black
This song has a good guitar lick in it, which must be why I originally chose it. On reflection, Better Man and State Of Mind are better songs. Nothin' But the Tailights is good too. Black is married to actress Lisa Hartman. Clint and I both have issues making up our minds, as I had a hard time picking a favorite, and he sand both Killin' Time and No Time to Kill. Which is it man?

49. Much Too Young to Feel This Damn Old –- Garth Brooks
From about 1990 to 1995 or so, everything Brooks touched turn to gold. He was hot. Lots of good country and not so country music from him. This one was the first, and the best.

50. John Deere Green –- Joe Diffie
Diffie came right after Brooks and Black in the new tradition phase that country hit in the early 90's. I'm still a big Diffie fan. This is a fun small mid-western town ditty.

1 comment:

Juanita said...

Mamaw Childress has a squeezebox.

:hehe: