Tuesday, July 17, 2007

100 Songs 21-30

21. Trying to Love Two Women -- The Oak Ridge Boys
This is probably my favorite Oak Ridge Boys song. Lots of songs on their list too. (My wife told me I make that comment on almost every artist. It's true though) I like this one, because, hey, Trying to Love Two Women IS like a ball and chain. Back when I was single, I either had nothing happening and no prospects, or 2 or 3 gals interested at once. This songs features William Lee Golden a little more than most Oak Ridge Boys songs (save Ozark Mountain Jubilee).

22. Boney Fingers -- Hoyt Axton
Work your fingers to the bone, what do you get? One of the best lines in music history, IMHO. Good old country song about trying to keep things together through the hard times. Should also mention Della and the Dealer, and the fact that Hoyt Axton wrote Joy to the World, the big Three Dog Night hit. (and his mother wrote Heartbreak Hotel). Hoyt did a lot of acting, too. Well rounded career.

23. She Can Put Her Shoes Under My Bed Anytime -- Johnny Duncan
Duncan had plenty of good song out when I was a little kid. Always loved his music, and this song is one of my favorites. Also, I could have chosen his version of Come A Little Bit Closer that featured Janie Fricke, as did Thinkin' Of a Rendezvous.

24. The Weekend -- Steve Wariner
Steve Wariner has always been an odd one for me. I never like his songs when they are new, but a few years later, I start liking his old songs. This is a sad little song about a short fling that wasn't so short for the singer.

25. When I Call Your Name -- Vince Gill
Sad one from Vince Gill. Vince is a great singer and a great guiter picker, too. Lots of good choices from here. Oklahoma Borderline is probably my second favorite.

26. Heard It in a Love Song -- Marshall Tucker Band
They played this song a lot on country radio when I was kid, so I don't consider it rock (The rock and pop songs don't show up till much later) Toy Caldwell was the man on the guitar, and the flute is a change of pace. (not a lot of flute outside of classical music. Considering I don't listen to much Jethro Tull, this is probably about it) Can't You See also deserves mention.

27. When You're Hot, You're Hot -- Jerry Reed
La la la la la la, la la la la. Great song. Jerry Reed is another wonderful guitar picker and another prolific actor. He's also one with a whole catalog of great songs. East Bound and Down from Smokey and the Bandit is probably Reed's most well known.

28 I Never Picked Cotton -- Roy Clark
Buck Owens' Hew Haw co-host and Branson fixture. He's also a very talented guitar and banjo picker. Here's one of the many country songs about hard times and leading a life of crime. A college math professor had a messy divorce and was a big fan of Thank God and Greyhound, You Gone, but I'll stick with this song.

29. In America -- Charlie Daniels
Uber-patriotic anthem from The Charlies Daniels Band. Lots of great songs, yet again. Did you know Daniels played guitar on Bob Dylan's Nashville Skyline album? He was also missing part of a finger on his right hand, due to a sawing accident. Luckily, it was his picking hand and not his chording hand, and we got to visit the Devil down in Georgia and Wooley Swamp with him. In America is my favorite, though.

30. Texas in 1880 -- Foster and Lloyd
Radney Foster and Bill Lloyd were a big part of the late 80's early 90's neo traditional movement, though I suppose they were more neo than traditional. This is a rodeo song, one of my favorite sub-genres of Country and Western music. Several good songs from this duo (and a few more decent one if you add Foster's solo career.)

1 comment:

Juanita said...

I like the extra bits you throw into about the artist. I've never heard of most of these songs. Good job!