Wednesday, April 12, 2006

It's Wednesday (aka comicbook day)

The new comic book releases arrive today. I recently revived my love of comics.

When I was young, I lived in a rural area, so I didn't have access to a comic shop. I didn't have any money, but that's beside the point. I would pick up a few hear and there at flea markets and yard sales. My favorites then was Sgt. Rock and Spiderman, I suppose. I ended up with a lot of Superman, too, but he is, well, not nice.

Fast forward to my college years. This was right after Superman died. The big think then was alternate covers and new comics companies. A friend was collecting a lot of Batman stuff. At this point, I started picking up a series called FireArm. It was an excellent book from a company called Malibu. The comic shop where I was buying FireArm closed up, and I had every comic up to that point. A short time after that, Malibu was purchased by Marvel, and short while after that, they ended the FireArm title. I only need a handful of comics to finish the complete series, but I never could find them.

Fast forward once again to a few months back. I had in hand a bit of extra money. I was reading GPF and one of the ads on that site was for Mile High Comics. So I went there and they had the rest of the comics in the FireArm series. I ordered them, read through them, and now I had read the complete published story of Alec Swan, so far. But I was just getting started. Around the same time, I had picked up a few graphic novels at WaldenBooks. "The Dark Knight Returns", "Sgt. Rock: Between Hell and a Hard Place", and "Crisis on Infinite Earths" were the titles. Later I added "Watchmen" to my library. These only served to whet my appetite.

I was looking for a comic shop. My girlfriend actually found the one where I go now. She picked me up the first 3 issues of "Justice" and a regular novellization of the "Crisis" novel. I didn't much care for "Crisis," so I went back to return it and pick up something else. I had been to the comic shop years ago, but wasn't ready to start collecting yet. Now, I had found a dealer and was ready to go back for more. I'm slowly easing back into collecting.

There's nothing in particular that I'm interested in coming out today (There's a whole bunch next week, though). I'll use some later blogs to do some reviews and previews of what I'm interested in.

No comments: