Tuesday, April 11, 2006

What entertains me, webcomics edition

This is the second in a series (The Netflix queue being first, I suppose) of posts on how I entertain myself. I have these loaded into a FireFox submenu, so each morning I open my bookmark and click Open in Tabs and here they all come.

Bruno the Bandit


The author started this as "What if Conan the Barbarbian owned Garfield?" but change it around to avoid getting sued. It's developed into much more. It has good social/polictical/religious commentary mixed with general Medieval humor. New comics are published Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

General Protection Fault


I first started reading GPF becuase the author is married to a college friend of mine. At first it was just a funny comic with a geek motif, but it took a serious turn a few years back with a serious sci-fi edge to it. It now mixes both pretty well. It has a new comic every day.

User Friendly


Another geek comic. It has a pretty good cast of characters. It usually cracks wise at the expense of Gates, the RIAA, Sun and normal folks geeks like to see made fun of. New comics every day.

Help Desk


One more geek comic. It's the exploits of the team at Ubersoft. I believe I first started reading as part of a crossover with GPF. Published whenever the auther gets around to it, but daily when he's on a roll.

Dilbert


The grandaddy of the geek cartoon. Like most people who work in an office setting, I think Scott Adams has a spy where I work. Published Daily.

Big Nate


Big Nate follows the life of a young man trying to make his way through adolescence. I find this very amusing, for some reason. Published daily.

Brevity


I found Brevity at Fark.com when it was called Cow Tools. It's a strange one liner Far Side type. Published daily.

Off the Mark


Off the Mark is also a Far Side type of cartoon, with something different each day. The comics.com page is up to date. The regular site at Off the Mark is a week behind, but has full archives. Cat lovers (you know who you are) need to check Off the Mark Cat Page Published Daily

Dork Tower


Dork Tower is more for dorks than geeks. It's based mostly on comic strip and gamer humor. Publish sporadically, though usually at least twice a week.

Absurd Notions


Absurd Notions consists of 2 comic strips. Absurd Notions is a comic about a group of friends who share an apartment. It includes geek humor and gaming humor. I first discovered it through a crossover with GPF (again). Why the Long Face is more of the author's personal diary comic, but the characters are dragons. Seriously. Publishes sporadically. Has been on a long hiatus, but has started publishing again.

No comments: