Thursday, August 17, 2006

A different sort of comic review

I read on Newsarama about a site called Wowio that had free comics availible for download, legally. Since, I like comics, and I like free, especially legally free, I decided to check it out.
I downloaded 3 comics on the first day, Deal with the Devil #1, Killer Stunts, Inc #1 and Scatterbrain #1. I started with Deal with the Devil, and I liked it. I went back to get the rest of the series and found out that you are limited to 5 books a day. That's not a big deal (it keeps people from just downloading the whole site whether they are interested or not) so I got #'s 2 and 3 and read them. The next day I got the next 2 and finished out Deal with the Devil. I liked it, though it was a little disturbing. Then I started in on Killer Stunts, Inc. It seems pretty good, so I'll get the rest of it. I tried to read Scatterbrain but I didn't care for the art and it was pretty slow. I may try it again, but it wasn't very promising. It was free though, so that's good. The only real bad points are that you had to provide a credit card number for identification, which some people have a problem with, and that the books are in PDF format, which mnakes the download pretty big. Each book has your name on the cover and is coded, so if you tried to defeat the copyright, they could track you down.
I'm still getting used to reading comics off of a computer screen, so after I try this a while, I'll let you all know how that's working.

No comments: