Friday, July 14, 2006

Comic reviews

Or subtitled "For Danimal"

First, a movie review. I enjoyed Superman Returns, but it was a little slow in places. I was satisfied, though.

I had promised comic reviews, but I haven't been delivering. The biggest reason is there are only so many ways to write "This is a good book, I like the direction it is going, I can't wait to read more" I suppose I just enjoy the comic book style as a medium, and it only takes a little bit to keep me interested.

What I read this week was Wolverine: Origins #4, 52 Week 10 and The Next #1.

Wolverine Origins is a dark look at Marvel's most popular X-man. This story arc is a look at some thing Wolverine did in Vietnam. It includes appearances from Nuke and Captain America.

52 is a pretty bold experiment by DC. They are releasing it weekly for 52 weeks, at a cheaper rate than other comics. (It's 2.50, most everything else is 2.99) The basic premise is the current DC universe is now "One Year Later" after the Infinite Crisis. 52 covers the year between the IC and the current comics. During this year, Superman was powerless, and Batman and Wonder Woman were missing. This is the story of some other heroes who took care of business while they were out. Visit the website at 52thecomic.com

The Next is a limited series from DC about some time traveling interdimensional beings whose dog has come to modern Earth. The messed up and now the have to try to save a young girl, and the universe as well. Superman guest stars.

That's a review of what they are about. As for my opinion, well, they have a nice beat and they are easy to dance to. I can dig it.

No comments: